Wednesday, March 13, 2013
U.S. Unions Work for Immigration Reform
· U.S. unions are working for citizenship now. Please call your representative today. Insist upon comprehensive immigration reform including:
Roadmap to citizenship.
Making the Dream Act permanent
No temporary or guest worker program.
An end to the criminalization of the immigration debate.
· The AFL-CIO and its allies are calling all representatives this week.
· AFL-CIO call in number. 1 (877) 848- 8289.
Among those allies are DSA and the Progressive Alliance. Here is the DSA call . Call Congress today!
Congressional switchboard: (202) 224-3121
Make sure that Congress hears our concerns while drafting immigration reform legislation, not just those of corporate America. The immigrant rights movement is the civil rights movement of the 21st century. Its demand for labor rights demonstrates that only by building a truly international labor and democratic political movement can we transition from a global capitalist world to one that promotes economic and social justice.
Start by stating that you are a constituent, then demand an inclusive and fair comprehensive immigration reform bill, one that includes:
• an immediate “path” to citizenship without long waits or onerous fees;
• worker rights provisions, in particular ensuring worker protection in the context of an ineffective E-verify program;an immediate end to deportations and to the flawed Secure Communities (“S-COMM”) program which has eroded the community’s trust in law enforcement while facilitating the ongoing racial profiling of immigrants;
• inclusion of LGBTQ families/couples to allow U.S. citizens to sponsor their non-citizen partner;
• family unification provisions that end long waits and reunite families who are waiting for immigration paperwork; and
• family unity, because the temporary Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals splits families.
· Learn more about DSA’s immigrant rights project here.